Oral cancer includes cancers that occur in the lip, the mouth, the throat, the tonsils, or the salivary glands. When oral cancer is not detected early, it requires intensive treatment like surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation. In addition, oral cancer can be fatal. Detecting oral cancer early is important to successful treatment.
Oral Cancer Symptoms
In addition to coming to your regular dental checkups, visit Carey Dentistry today if you notice any of the following symptoms:
– A persistent sore on the gums, lips, or inside of your mouth
– A lump or swelling anywhere around (or in) your mouth or throat
– Numbness or loss of feeling inside of the mouth
– Difficulty eating
– White or red patches inside of the mouth
– Unexplained soreness in the mouth
– A feeling that something is caught in the throat
– A change in voice
– A swelling of the jaw
– Ear pain
– Trouble moving your jaw or tongue
– Loose teeth for no obvious explanation
– Lingering hoarseness or sore throat
Oral Cancer Screening
It is important to realize that you may not always be able to detect the earliest signs of oral cancer yourself. Because of this, regular appointments with Dr. Deborah Carey are imperative. When you come in for your routine appointment, our dentist will perform an oral cancer screening. This check will occur every six months, so oral cancer can be detected and treated early.
We invite you to contact our office at 281-859-5637 today to learn more about screening for oral cancer in Houston, Texas, and to schedule a visit.