Gum disease is an infection that attacks the gums and bone structures that support and surround the teeth. If left untreated, this disease can cause the loss of healthy jawbone structure and even the loss of permanent teeth.
Signs of Gum Disease
Gum disease is more easily reversed if it is caught in its early stages. Be sure to schedule an appointment with Dr. Deborah Carey if you notice any of the symptoms below:
– Swollen, tender, or red gums
– Gums that bleed easily, particularly when you brush and floss
– Teeth that look longer because of gum recession
– Periodontal pockets between the teeth and the gums
– Pus coming from the gums
– Loose teeth
Risk Factors of Gum Disease
There are certain factors that can increase your risk for developing gum disease, including:
– Smoking. Smoking can also lower the chances of success with some periodontal treatments.
– Hormonal changes in girls and women can make the gums more sensitive, and therefore put them more at risk of infection.
– Stress can make fighting infection, like gum disease, more difficult for our bodies.
– Diabetes makes an individual more susceptible for developing infection.
– Some medications can cause dry mouth, thus affecting oral health.
However, even if you have one or more of these risk factors, you can prevent gum disease by taking good care of your smile.
Contact Carey Dentistry at 281-859-5637 today to learn more and to set up a visit with our dentist in Houston, Texas.